Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Powerpoint Presentations.


I am in my second year of University study and it that short time I have progressed in my capabilities to present information using Microsoft PowerPoint. Before then I had never before used the software. I feel confident now that I would be able to pass my knowledge on to students I was teaching. I found that I started with the basics, and each time I built a presentation I learnt and tried new applications. Peer interaction has helped me immensely, this was not something that was available to me throughout my education. As an adult learner I appreciate the digital natives who surround me with their PowerPoint expertise.

You could utilise this software and adapt it to any unit of work for any age group. Based on Oliver's (1999) learning design framework a lesson should involve a learning task, learning resources and learning supports.
For example; a grade five class studying a unit of work on space.
Each student will have research a topic(Milky way, Black hole, stars, satellites etc)and present the information to the class utilising a power point slide show. The standard criteria must:
. contain 5 slides
. Include factual information on each slide
. Include a picture on at least 3 slides
To cater for individual differences I would adjust the criteria accordingly, either to involve more technology capabilities such as adding sound and moving animations to a slide show alternatively decreasing the number of slides required for those who would not achieve success in the standard criteria. The children could present their slide show to the class and/or to parents on culminating day. In addition, each child could choose their favourite slide and the teacher could create a new PowerPoint presentation which presents the work of the whole class in one presentation.

Carver, Lehrer, Connell and Erickson (1992) acknowledges a variety of thinking skills that learners need to use when designing a presentation. Project management, research, organisation and representation, presentation and reflection skills. These skills call on a variety of critical, creative and complex thinking skills. So to does Kearsley and Shneidernams engagement theory (1999) which states activities students do involve an active cognitive process such as creating, problem solving, reasoning, decision making and evaluation.


The power point tutorial provided me with the opportunity to revise what I already know regarding power point and got me thinking what I would specifically have to teach if it were a class of novices. As a teacher I can't presume all children are competent in this area and it was good to go back to the basics and refresh what it is I want children to know about power point. Knowing how to add motion to pictures is a new skill I learnt during the tutorial. Keeping up with technology....what a challenge.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see someone taking the time to think about designing presentations from the point of view of the people receiving it! Many of the people I train start from the other end and end up with 'flat and boring' presentations that don't let audiences engage with them.

    Cheers.... Simon

    ReplyDelete